Form 4868 - Instructions To File Personal Income Tax Extension

With the tax day looming, you realize that you are running out of time. You can’t find the documents that you need or you are really in a middle of a time crunch, and you realize that you don’t have the opportunity to create your return just before the deadline. Don’t worry!

You can request the IRS for a time extension to file the federal income tax return (Form 1040). The best part is that you can easily and quickly do it online by filing Form 4868 with ExpressExtension.

Who Must E-file 4868?

IRS Form 4868 is an application which is used for getting an automatic extension of time to file your income tax return. If you can’t file your federal income tax form 1040 before the due date, then you can easily get an automatic 6-month extension of time for filing personal tax extension. This extension form should be filed on or before the original due date of your 1040 Form.

Which Are The Forms You Can Apply For An Extension By Filing Form 4868?

You can e-file 4868 to get 6 months extension for Forms 1040, 1040A, 1040EZ, 1040NR, 1040NR-EZ, 1040-SS or 1040-PR.

What Are The Special Rule To E-File Form 4868 For Taxpayers Who Are Out Of The Country?

Being a US resident or citizen, if you are out of the country on the due date to file your returns, you get extra 2 months to file your return and pay your tax due without requesting for an extension. However, interest will be charged on the payments that are made after the regular due date, irrespective of the extension.

To qualify for the special tax treatment, you need to meet the physical or bona fide residence presence tests. Now if you can’t pass these two tests before the due date, you can easily request for an Individual Tax Extension by filing form 2350. Out of the country, scenarios consist of -

  • when you are living outside the US and Puerto Rico and the main place of work is outside of the Puerto Rico and the US.
  • when you are in naval or military service outside the US and Puerto Rico.

Can I E-File 4868 for my spouse?

Yes, you can e-file form 4868 for your spouse. If you and your spouse jointly file the Form 4868, however, file separate returns for the current tax year, you can enter the amount paid using Form 4868 on either of the separate returns. Also, you and your spouse can simply divide the payment in agreed amounts.

Can I Pay My Balance Due?

When you are filing the form 4868, you have the option to make payment for the balance due amount in part, in full or you don’t pay anything with the extension. Now if you don't pay the full amount, you will be charged interest on the amount not paid till mid of April and also a late payment penalty if less than 90% of the total tax is paid by the given due date.

While filing the extension with ExpressExtension, you can select the payment method for the balance due, which is either by EFTPS and EFW.

Penalties For Not Filing Form 4868 For Your Personal Income Tax Extension?

Yes, a late filing penalty will be levied if you don't file your returns or file it after the due date (this include even extension). This penalty is charged from the 5% of the amount due for each month or a part of the month when your return is late. Maximum penalty charged is 25% and if the return is late more than sixty days, then the minimum penalty will be $210 or the balance of the tax which is due on the return; whichever is smaller.

However, you won’t need to pay the penalty if you provide reasonable causes for not filing or filing late. For that you must attach a statement along with your return clearly explaining the reasons.

Contact Us

Connect with our dedicated support team. We'll be happy to assist you with any questions that you may have. Don't hesitate to take advantage of our 24/7 email support at

Talk with a Representative

Don't wait until the deadline, especially if you have questions about e-filing 4868 extension with the ExpressExtension. Contact one of our support representatives by dialing 803.514.5155.

It's free to get started with ExpressExtension

Instantly apply for your 1040 extension online for a quick approval. Pay only when you're ready to transmit your extension form to the IRS.

Start for FREE